CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Babies and Mom's Progress



Thank you to everyone out there who have been calling and writing to us. We appreciate the well wishes/congratulations. April 3rd was the best day of my life. I will never forget having my first and I think only babies. Florida Hosptial Orlando treated me wonderfully and continues to provide wonderful treatment to our children. Those NICCU nurses are amazing and have taught me so much in just this small amount of time. I have learned how to comfort preemie babies, change preemie diapers, do tube feedings, how to hold, etc. Nothing is as I thought. Nothing, including how much I would love them. There are no words. They are amazing. I sit back and look at them and go "Wow." I don't know what I did to deserve them, but I thank God for them. When I look back at our option to Selectively Reduce this pregnancy, I am so glad that I didn't give in to fears about their health and finances. People have commented many times... "Wow! Four? I couldn't even imagine..." Well it's funny, I couldn't imagine having just one now. All the miseries of pregnancy that I complained about were entirely worth it.

As you all probably know, we did hit the news. The hospital Public Relations set those interviews up just a few hours after my c-section delivery. I was still under the influence of drugs. I use that as my excuse for how terrible I looked and sounded. My husband reminds me that it was more than that - "you didn't sleep for 3 months" he said. Everyone says how beautiful the babies are and many only saw them on the news. They are not given justice on the news. You have to hold them and look into their little eyes to appreciate just how beautiful they are.

Right after delivery, 2 of the 4 were on room air. Gabrielle was on room air, but had a little oxygen by nasal cannula. Hunter (the biggest boy) was on CPAP for 2 days. They had some concerns about defects with Preston - holes that hadn't closed in on his head, but the Plastic Surgeon who consulted said that will heal in time and no surgery is required. Alexandria has some apnea related to prematurity which should resolve. All four had high billirubin levels and received photo therapy for a few days. Hunter has been taken off the light therapy and the girls are anticipated to be off of it tomorrow. I have been told that there is nothing wrong with the kids to be alarmed about. They are actually ahead of their gestational age and very healthy preemie babies. I was discharged from the hospital on Thursday. I came home and my husband and I are on our way back to them today. I've missed them so much in the just one day I have been away from them; I have cried many times. I have so many pics I would like to share and I am sure they will be put up soon.

Last night we went out for a celebratory dinner. I still look pregnant, so I got a lot of looks when I ordered a mixed drink. Maybe I just felt like I was getting looks. In my defense of not looking svelt after all this is that I did have FOUR BABIES!!! Now I just look like I am pregnant with one. I hope that I can lose some of this weight soon so people will stop asking me what I am having or when I am due.

We are trying to figure out how to transport the babies with our small car. They still have a few more weeks in the hospital so I have some time to figure this out. The church has assured me that we will have what is needed when the baby comes home. I honestly cannot wait to bring them home!!!

Thanks again to all who listen.

0 comments: